Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Three years ago, our family was shattered

WARNING: For the next month or so, my posts here may be more emotional, personal, and angrier than usual (yes, that is possible...)... I promised my mother that I wouldn't mention my brother's name as "propaganda" and I really try to honor her request... but every once in a while I feel the need to remind people of the personal and very human cost of this war...

September 3rd will be the third anniversary of my brother's death in Iraq. He is now laid to rest in the peaceful valley of Fairfield, Idaho.

I think of him every day... little reminders are everywhere...

...walking through the halls of Gooding High School which we attended as teenagers and my two oldest children attend currently...
...classmates and teachers of ours around town ...
...black Broncos ...
...jackrabbits (there's a story behind that!) ...
...squirt guns (another story there also!) ...
...the book -- and now a movie -- "How To Eat Fried Worms" (and yet another story...!)

Every time someone mentions THEIR brother, I grieve for mine...

When I dropped off my two oldest children at church camp last month (their first time attending camp TOGETHER and they squabble like Alan and I did when we were their age!), I talked with them about treasuring their relationship and not to take each other for granted...

... I could go on...

My mother faithfully maintains his grave site in Fairfield... She's planted trees and hauls water up there in the back of her car regularly to help them grow... she's hauled rocks and stumps from where my brother and I used to play as children... many of the flowers she places there are from my yard...

My children regularly tell me "I miss Uncle Alan..." (which is especially heart-breaking considering my 7-year old was only four when his uncle died...)...

I listen to his precious voice as he sang for his children... his last words to them from Iraq...

As over-used and cliche as this label seems to be any more, my brother is a true hero. He showed bravery and loyalty to his men and his country. I respect him for his strength and commitment.

And I miss him so very much...

No comments: