Saturday, May 27, 2006

Being proud to be an Idahoan...

... is sometimes difficult.

Those of us who live within our borders know that Idaho is more than killing baby bunnies, more than Aryan nations, and more than Helen "salmon population is healthy because she can still buy it at the store" Chenoweth.

Unfortunately, those who live elsewhere don't have our experiences and base their judgments on a few visible Idahoans who represent our lovely state. That perception results in attitudes such as seen on The Colbert Report where Steve announces that if Idaho removes potatoes from our license plates, then all American children will be able to associate with Idaho will be "white supremacists". As much as we'd like to pretend differently, Idaho's image has some unacceptable stains on it.

In a previous blog entry (Know Thine Enemies), I encouraged Idahoans to become familiar with Bill Sali. I suggested that Idaho may garner national attention because of his attitudes and reputation. If Idaho Republicans elect Sali to represent us in DC, we need to be aware of the impact this will have on our state's reputation.

Well, it's started already... hop over to Swing State Project: ID-01: Wingnut of the Year and get a glimpse of what to expect if Sali is actually elected...

All Idahoans, regardless of party affiliation, have a responsibility to educate themselves about who represents them. We need to make responsible decisions at the polls and not just make knee-jerk choices due to our biases and personal preferences. We are first and foremost Idahoans, before we are Democrats or Republicans... we can't afford to forget that distinction.

We have an opportunity to elect someone who can represent Idaho in a manner in which we can be proud: Larry Grant. Take the time to learn about HIM as well. As you become familiar with the differences between the two candidates, you will realize which man will represent Idaho and respond to the real needs of our citizens, and which man will feed upon fears and hatred in order to achieve a personal agenda.

{Hats off to Bubblehead for being aware of the big picture. I'm not surprised because I have found him to be rational, intelligent, and open-minded... even if he is a Republican ! Seriously, it's Idahoans like him that will help our state the most as they consider the greater need of the state and the qualities of the individual over party affiliations and negative stereotypes...}

4 comments:

Bubblehead said...

Thanks, Diana! Although we disagree about quite a few issues, it's good to have someone to discuss them rationally with.

Just Callin' It Like I See It said...

Agreeing with others is always pleasant, but I find that intelligence, open-mindedness, and mutual respect to be much more important in a discussion. I appreciate you also!

peppylady (Dora) said...

I was total dispointed that Sali won the G.O.P (Gods Only Party) I'm voting for Larry Grant their no two ways about it

Just Callin' It Like I See It said...

I'm not in your district so I can't vote for Grant, but Sali scares the living daylights out of me--which is why I keep bringing him up. Even though I can't vote against him, if he wins he will represent me as well and I do NOT want that!

Fortunately, we have a great candidate in my district (Jim Hansen) but since Simpson isn't NEARLY the nutjob as Sali is, it will be harder to convince the die-hard Republicans to recognize the need for change in leadership. Sali has caught so much attention, that I've not discussed Jim too much. That will be changing, starting now!