Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Far far away in the land that time forgot...

Remember Afghanistan?

Don't we still have soldiers fighting and dying over there?

Yes, I'm being sarcastic, but even the SOLDIERS have commented that the general American population seem to be unaware that we have men and women AT WAR in that country. One guy told me that when he came home on leave, folks get asking him about "Iraq". He kept trying to tell them "I'm serving in Afghanistan, NOT Iraq", to no avail. He told me that he finally just gave up and stopped correcting them.

Anyway... if I remember correctly, didn't Afghanistan have something to do with Osama bin Laden and 9/11? Isn't it the OTHER country, the one that is NOT Iraq?

Yes, I'm being sarcastic again. But the following IS (or SHOULD BE) important to us all...

It may not surprise you that Afghanistan is requesting "serious assistance in improving the border security of their state, in both technical and personnel training terms".

It may also not surprise you that they are concerned with "the revival of Islamic radicalism and narcotics trafficking".

You still with me so far?

However, what might surprise you is discovering which country Afghanistan is contacting for help...

USA? Nope.

Britain? Nope.

How about RUSSIA? (But I'm sure you were expecting THAT one, right?)

"The Afghan side is most interested in having their military and law enforcement officers trained in Russia and other CSTO member states, as well as in purchasing Russian weaponry..."

You can wait til you read it in your local paper or watch it on Fox news or ANY American mainstream media... if you have a few years to waste.

Or you find out more at THE CSTO MOVES QUICKLY TO BOLSTER ITS SECURITY ROLE IN CENTRAL ASIA.

[Thanks, LeRoy, for sharing this with me...!]

1 comment:

Kasey said...

You mean Afghanistan is still around? LOL I hear what you're saying loud and clear. Bush doesn't have a clue.